Jun 22, 2010

The pain of yearning that spinach cause...

Mullum MalarumImage via Wikipedia
I don't whether this is a legitimate use of blog: I read this interesting article about subtitles- Indian subtitles!

"I imagine a video editing suite somewhere in the suburbs of Mumbai or Chennai, where the key moment arrives and the lead translator hands off the balance of the film to some sub-subtitler and heads outside for a well-deserved masala dosa.He says that "the greatest amount of South Asian subtitle strangeness" occurs in the songs, and presents a couple of wondrous examples: "On the tip of the noses love enjoys even the beauty of crows!" and "Thoughts of various spinaches make me yearn." The latter is from from Mullum Malarum (Tamil, 1978), and I have to say, it tempts me to see the movie."- Language Hat

It is tragic that Mullum Malarum- a classic Tamil Film- is not widely known outside Tamil Nadu except for this immortal translation- "Thoughts of various spinaches make me yearn."




Related link: Cardus

Enhanced by Zemanta